Taiwan Matters! The PRC flag has never flown over Taiwan, and don't you forget it!

"Taiwan is not a province of China. The PRC flag has never flown over Taiwan."

Stick that in your clipboards and paste it, you so-called "lazy journalists"!

Thanks to all those who voted for Taiwan Matters!
in the Taiwanderful Best Taiwan Blog Awards 2010!
You've got great taste in blogs!

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

permalink

How can Taiwan not be colonized ?

I didn't post any article for a long while, because I have been sick, and I have been sick of it.

But for a couple of days I have not been able to sleep well or eat well. I couldn't direct my attention to anything other than the thought that the beautiful island of Taiwan is spiraling down hill to the grave.

Forget about the economy. Ma Ying-Jeou has turned Taiwan into a slave country, a police state. The old white-terror is back.

I am particularly distressed by the fact that a group of the highest educated Taiwanese individuals (台灣教授協會,Taiwan Association of University Professors, TAUP) are making clueless moves to re-direct the energy of anti-china /anti-Ma movement, which is supposed to be a matter of life-and-death, away to an anti-legislator movement, which is about a no-where-near-any-sort-of-emergency domestic problem.

And that is carried out through an extreme way of hunger strike:
http://www.taup.org.tw/main/index.php

The more extreme the method used, the more energy will be steered away from the anti-china movement. And these highly educated Taiwanese professors do not have any wee bit sense of that ??

Pro-green supporters follow blindly, without the knowledge that they are driven away from a defense of their own future.

And what a great sacrifice a hunger strike is !! Nobody dare to point out the blunder to challenge this holly movement, except a guy who is so naive :

台灣亡國史第 X 章:馬特首暗渡「陳」倉,台教會絕食護航
(Sorry, it's in Mandarin)

The same day after the article was posted, I received an email from a member of TAUP, labeling me a spy sent by the blue/red camp to sabotage the hunger strike movement.

I tried to explain what consequences their movement will cause, and got a reply:

"When Chen Yunlin comes, there is DPP to take care of it."
(陳雲林來的話,自有民進黨的人去對抗)

Execute me, dear highly educated pro-green Taiwanese professors, defending Taiwan is none of your business?

As of now, 11/4, when Taiwan President District Head Ma Ying-jeou quenches all signs of a country in order to lick China representive's ass, it seems that the only thing TAUP cares is how to vote (check out their website).

How can we expect Taiwan not to be a colonized state ?

If we checkout human history for signs before a country falls, or before a dynasty is invaded/replaced by another, Taiwan probably has all of them.

So, guys, relax. Take a deep breath. Slowly. Calm. Calm.. Calm ... Don't fight the flow. Take in slowly, slowly ... until it stops.

.

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 5:21 AM, Blogger skiingkow said...

.
.
.
I still lay most of the blame on the ignorance of the Taiwanese electorate. They voted for a party who clearly is set on selling-out this country. How they could think otherwise is, frankly, baffling to me. But I guess the pan-blue media bias was enough of a force to permit this to happen.

Same thing happened in the U.S. when the ignorant electorate handed enough votes to George W. Bush so that he could steal the election -- twice.

Sadly (and ironically), for Taiwan, sovereignty and freedom is being sacrificed over this ignorance.

One of the fundamental principles of democracy is that an well-informed electorate is required.
.
.
.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Taiwan Echo said...

stop_ma:I still lay most of the blame on the ignorance of the Taiwanese electorate.

I agree with you that the choice people made is what led Taiwan to all this. However, this is hardly the point of this post.

The point is, how to fix a problem that's already there.

When we have a disease, we treat it. When we have multiple diseases, we treat the most life-threatening one first.

My disappointment comes from the fact that the most highly educated Taiwanese professors are so blind to what the most deadly disease current is.

In fact, if TAUP keeps silent or does nothing at all, I wouldn't be so disappointed.

But they actually do something to draw energy and attention away from the movement that is a matter of Taiwan's life-and-death.

Not to mention a statement so honestly claiming that protesting against China's representive is someone else' business.

What on earth is going wrong in their head ?

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger skiingkow said...

.
.
.
Taiwan Echo,

I absolutely agree with your sentiments, and I didn't mean to side-track the point you were trying to make. I, frankly, don't understand their lack of urgency on this matter after what has happened in the past 6 months.

To me, there are mile-high red neon signs flashing on and off with load air-raid sirens. If you can't see where PandaMa is taking this country now, then I'm afraid there is no hope -- unless the people wake up. Somehow. Someway.
.
.
.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think that everyone has to wake up to the REALITY that the Rep. of China on Taiwan is not a sovereign independent nation. With this realization, there is no need to keep "fighting" against the ROC government structure, and the KMT.

In fact, Taiwan is an overseas territory under the jurisdiction of the USA, and native Taiwanese people should be holding some form of "US overseas passport."

The LEGAL LOGIC of this argument is forcefully presented in new documents filed in the US Court of Appeals on Nov. 3, 2008. Full details are here -- http://www.taiwanbasic.com/civil/court.htm

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Tim Maddog said...

Habeas (Richard?), you're wasting time, too. The Ma government is in the one that's in office right now, selling Taiwan out to China with no resistance from the US. Police are on the streets by the thousands, and people are being arrested for carrying flags. That's the reality. Are you awake to that fact?

Tim Maddog

 
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tend to disagree with the author. The basic difference between Taiwan and China is that people in Taiwan can vote but people in China can not. Therefore, how to perfect the voting process of referendums is the very core of our life style in a democratic state. Or the true meaning of the referendum in Taiwan will be kept twisting by the pro-China groups, as it has been, twice.

I am a card member of DPP but even I am a little tired of the lecturing about "Taiwan has been sold out to China by KMT" because I have been hearing that for the last decade. I stop having any strong passion about that. However, the right to vote is an universal value for human rights, and it may appeal to some of the pan-blue populations in Taiwan. After all, it is the Taiwan's "national sport." Most of Taiwan citizens would like to have their casted votes to count for something, not being treated as "ineffective" in any election or any referendum.

From the other point of view: If you are hoping the pro-Taiwan activists to sing on the same tune, that is and would be very strange. I believe in democracy. I think I would welcome a diversified pool of "pro-Taiwanese" or "pro-democratic" opinions rather than seeing that a group of Taiwanese Schutzstaffel discredit other Taiwan people who do not side with them.

As long as the strategic goal is to remain Taiwan as an "independent and democratic" state, it is fine to let those professors to try their luck.

Like the Admiral said the the movie "Under Siege", "Chief, since I can not control you, I might as well give you my support, don't I?"

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Taiwan Echo said...

Hi chcyang,

Basically I agree with most of your points. What I don't agree is the timing of their movement.

I believe you would agree that the timing is as critical as the subject itself. In fact, it's often more critical. One just can't spend time trying to find a dermotologist to cure his skin itch when he has a heart attack. I mean, what is a beautiful skin good for on a corpse ?

To me TAUP don't seem to doubt that Taiwan still can have a referendum even after Taiwan becomes a district of China. Why these highly educated Taiwanese have this naive idea is way beyond me.

I mean, what's wrong about raising that same appeal one or two months after this Chen Yunlin's visit ? Why did they have to do it at this point ?

And the method they used -- hunger strike -- disdurbs me too. We all heard about "language violence." What TAUP applied is what I call "conscience violence." They use a hunger stike to bring up a right issue at the wrong time. And since it's a hunger strike, no one dares to challenge its justification. That is, the methond touches the conscience by bypassing the reasoning. People would be moved blindly. As a result, even some people can see the irony of this "save skin itch, leave heart attack alone", they would be afraid of being blamed for critisizing it.

In fact, the blaming comes with the hunger strike in a package -- I was immediately labeled as a spy from blue/red camp by a TAUP member.

Certainly, in a democrocy they can express whatever they want in whatever way they want. I, and you, are doing the same thing.

But I can't agree with what you quoted: "since I can not control you, I might as well give you my support". Because I believe its wrong timing will only bring harms to Taiwan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Earlier Posts